And so the wait begins...

A good few years ago I wrote an adult novel (as in a novel for adults not adult content!). I planned, I constructed, I wrote...it took a long time.

When it was finally a finished piece, I researched publishers but in those days you couldn't submit without an agent.  So, I bought the Writers and Artist Year Book (yes really, a paper tome not something online!) and researched agents.

Finally, I printed my manuscript out and packaged it up, complete with a return SAE, and sent it to number one agent.  I waited several months until it came back from number one agent without even one dog-eared sheet and a slip saying 'we are not currently accepting unsolicited manuscripts'.

I repeated the process with number two, three and four agents (a long process!) and then got disillusioned as it was clearly never even being read.  And then I gave up!

I found this manuscript on my laprop a couple of years ago, reread and liked it.  So. I slightly updated it and decided to go down the Kindle self publishing route.  It sits there at a low price and I occasionally get sales notifications but it will never make my fortune!  Perhaps foolishly, I don't actively market but as you're reading my blog this is it in case you're interested...



Anyway, back to what I do with Raggy Rose...

Before I started this project I did new research.  Things have moved on considerably!  You can approach publishers directly.  You can submit online.  You can submit samples.

Three completed stories in and with a clear vision in mind, I decided I was ready.  I wrote a concept sheet and synopsis.  I scanned all the drawings in.  I laid the poems out like a book and... I hit submit to number one publisher!

And so the wait begins...

Comments

Popular Posts